Check in November for NH Seacoast Science Center
Share this post
We have had another successful month of Check in Charity, when in October friends of the Island Institute raised $500 worth of “Check ins” for the organization. We’re pleased to support them!
For November we will be raising “Check ins” for the Seacoast Science Center, whose Rye, NH facility helps foster connections to the natural world and inspire a love of science in the young.
Seacoast Science Center
According to national experts, 80% of the jobs that will be created in the next decade will require math and science skills, yet the next generation of Americans will not be ready. Students show declining interest in science: 84% of middle school students would rather clean their room, eat their vegetables, go to the dentist or take out the garbage than learn math or science.
That’s where the The Seacoast Science Center comes in. They take a fun and innovative approach to science education, with hands-on, active programs that engage students’ natural curiosity about the world to teach them about more than “just” science. They learn important life skills that translate directly into the skills they will need in the work force. They learn to observe, analyze, communicate and keep asking questions.
The Seacoast Science Center creates connections to nature by offering:
- Educational programs and environmental day camps for children 18 months to 8th grade
- Adult learning opportunities from Heritage Dinners to expedition travel
- School programs that range from in-the-field to at-school, to after school
- Distance learning and video conferencing at our Gregg Interactive Learning Studio
- 13 aquariums and live animal tanks represent habitats from tide pools and ponds to the deep sea
- Community events geared toward fun and education on the seacoast: Music-by-the-Sea
- Summer concerts, Whale of a 5K Race and Fun Run, Art in Nature week, and dawn-to-dusk Bioblitz!
Each year, over 70,000 people visit the Center, 15,000 of whom are students from throughout New England.
Check in Now!
Just enter your name and email (optional) below to earn $1 towards the Seacoast Science Centers’ innovation and interactive approach to science education.
Fine print: Each person can “Check in” once each month using the widget you can find on our blog, website, and Facebook page. In addition we count all new “Likes” to our Facebook page as Check-ins so be sure to share this effort with your friends!