Share this post
WERU Community Radio is an independent, noncommercial, educational media organization. Our mission is to engage with the community to provide diverse music, entertainment and alternative news and public affairs programming, with emphasis on local people, issues and cultures.
WERU’s Operating Principles:
1. Our motto is to be a “voice of many voices” by offering a wide variety of people opportunities to share their experiences, concerns and perspectives with their neighbors over the airwaves and Internet.
2. We are committed to and celebrate listener support as an essential element of our financial sustainability.
3. We are committed to and celebrate volunteerism as an essential element of the organization’s operations, both broadcast and non-broadcast.
4. We provide programming intended to serve the needs of local people not fully served by mainstream corporate media.
5. We offer programming that is intended to support healthy, informed and vibrant communities.
6. We provide alternative informational programming with high journalistic standards.
7. We seek diversity in our programming.
8. In addition to local programming we provide national and international programming intended to connect the community with the wider world.
9. We assess our service to the community based on evaluations by our Program Advisory Committee, audience research and feedback, and our collective years of broadcast experience.
10.We are accessible, responsive and engaged with our audience and the wider community.
11.We build constructive relationships with other organizations that support and enrich the community.
12.We practice responsible stewardship of the organization’s resources, carefully adhering to our legal and ethical responsibilities.
13.We practice responsible and transparent governance of the organization.
14.We operate according to both the letter and spirit of the FCC laws governing non-commercial broadcasting and the IRS laws for not-for-profit organizations.
15.We utilize our mission statement and operating principles to guide the creation of our programming and strategic goals.